Can I

Can I + (verb)

 
When ending a sentence with a question mark (?) you are asking the person or people you are talking to a question for which you would like an answer. Here you are asking permission to do a particular action.

Here are some examples:


"Can I answer your question?"
"Can I attend the event?"
"Can I move to another spot?"
"Can I call you tomorrow?"
"Can I complete this later?"
"Can I explain myself?"
"Can I help you with your homework?"
"Can I include you in our plans?"
"Can I introduce you to my co-workers?"
"Can I inform you of some bad news?"

Can I get + (noun)

The phrase 'Can I get' can be used in a couple different ways. You can use it to ask a question.

Here are some examples:

"Can I get a cup of water?"
"Can I get a dog?"
"Can I get lunch?"
"Can I get sugar in my coffee?"
"Can I get popcorn at the movie?"

You can also use it when offering to help someone or do something for them.

Here are some examples:

"Can I get you another drink?"
"Can I help you move that?"
"Can I recommend a good place to eat?"
"Can I take you home?"
"Can I help you finish your project?"
 

There's nothing + (subject) + can + (verb)

'There's' is a contraction of the words 'there is.' When using the word 'nothing' you are suggesting that something cannot happen or be done.

Here are some examples:

"There's nothing you can harm."
"There's nothing the police can identify."
"There's nothing we can agree on."
"There's nothing we can join."
"There's nothing she can cook."
"There's nothing my dog can learn."

By using the word 'can' or 'can't' you change the expression to mean that all is possible.

Here are some examples:

"There is nothing I cannot ask for."
"There's nothing we cannot accomplish."
"There's nothing our dog cannot open."
"There's nothing that truck cannot move."
 

I can't help + (verb-ing)

The word 'can't' is contraction for 'cannot.' Combined with 'help' you are communicating something you are unable to control or having a hard time gaining a grasp for. This can be a physical or mental action.

Here are some examples:

"I can't help thinking about it."
"I can't help shopping so much."
"I can't help working all the time."
"I can't help smiling when I see her."
"I can't help eating so much."
"I can't help loving you."
"I can not help biting my nails when I am nervous."
"I can not help smoking when I have been drinking."
"I cannot help feeling so sad."
"I cannot help remembering the things you did."

 

I Can't Wait

"We only have 7 more days until vacation! I can't wait!"
"I can't wait. They are going to announce the contest winners today."
"I can't wait for summer to get here, I don't like the cold weather."

A. "I can't wait to see my parents this weekend!"
B. "Are they coming in town to visit?"
A. "Yes, I haven't seen them for a year."
B. "Have a fun time visiting with them."

Other Common Sentences

"I am eager for it to happen."
"I'm waiting with excitement."


It Can't Hurt

"I'm trying a new diet, it can't hurt, right?"
"It can't hurt to get another opinion."
"I say it can't hurt to let him know how you feel."

A. "I'm thinking of trying out a new gym."
B. "Really? Why?"
A. "The one I go to now is too expensive. I found another one that is cheaper."
B. "Go ahead and do it, it can't hurt to try it."

Other Common Sentences

"You might as well."
"There is no harm trying."


I Can't Thank You Enough

"I can't thank you enough for all that you have done for me."
"Thanks for everything. I can't thank you enough."
"You were a big help today watching the kids. I can't thank you enough."

A. "So how is your car running since I worked on it?"
B. "It is running great! I can't thank you enough. You were such a big help!"

Other Common Sentences

"I really appreciate all that you have done."
"Thank you very much!"
 

You can say that again


A: "Britney Spears is so hot!"
B: "You can say that again."

A: "It was a long year. We accomplished quite a bit."
B: "I'm just glad that we're almost done."
A: "You can say that again."

Other Common Sentences

"I hear ya."
"You got that right."
"Damn right."

 

I can eat a horse

"I'm so hungry that I can eat a horse."
"I feel like I can eat a horse right now."
"If I didn't eat anything for two days, I would feel like I can eat a horse too."

A: "I didn't eat anything all day."
B: "You must be really hungry."
A: "I can eat a horse right now."

Other Common Sentences

"I'm starving. I think I can eat a whale."
"I'm famished. I could eat anything right now."

Canceling a Meeting

If you are the meeting organizer, then there are times when you have to cancel a meeting. Here are some sentences you can use for this situation.

"There are four people who will not be able to attend the meeting tomorrow. I am going to reschedule the meeting to a more convenient time."
"The director asked that we postpone the finance meeting until the quarterly report comes out. So I'll send an update with the new date and time later this week."

Some meetings are weekly meetings that occur at the same time. It is common that these meetings are canceled when there is nothing to talk about.

"There is nothing new to discuss this week, so we are going to cancel this week's agenda meeting."

"I am running late this morning. Let's postpone the meeting until the afternoon."
"I can't make it in tomorrow, so let's cancel this week's meeting. I'll email everyone if something new comes up."

Ετικέτες

Post a Comment

[blogger]

Author Name

Φόρμα επικοινωνίας

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.