Very Simple Basic Introductions - am/is/are


http://www.engvid.com "To be" is the most common verb in English. In this basic grammar lesson, I will teach you how to use this verb correctly. You will learn the positive, negative, and question forms of "to be". Even higher-level English students make mistakes with this most basic verb, so even if you think you know this already, you should watch to review. And make sure to take the quiz: http://www.engvid.com/basic-english-g...
 Very Simple Basic Introductions - am/is/are

I am
=
I'm
you are
=
you're
he is
=
he's
she is
=
she's
it is
=
it's
are not
=
aren't
is not
=
isn't


Question - What/Who is it?

What ....?

=

things

Who .....?

=

people

What's

=

What is

It is

=

It's

Who is

=

Who's 


 

Test am/is/are

Enter the correct form of the verb to be - Fill It
Test your vocabulary - Name It - if you don't know a word look it up in your dictionary.

 

 #B2

Who/What/Where


Who?
=
People
What?
=
Things
Where?
=
Places

 Male example
Who is this? - It's John
What is his name? - His name is John Greek
Where does he come from? - He comes from Greece
Where does he live? -  He lives in England
What nationality is he? - He's Greek
 Female example
Who is this? - It's John
What is her name? - Her name is Helen Greek
Where does she come from? - She comes from Greece
Where does she live? -  She lives in England
What nationality is she? - She's Greek
.

What/Where examble


Question
Long answer
Short answer
Short one
What's your name?
My name is John
It's John
John
Where do you come from?
I come from Greece.
From Greece
Greece
Where do you live?
I live in England.
In England
England
What nationality are you?
My nationality is Greek
I'm Greek
Greek


Test It Put the mixed up sentences into order - Sort It!



#B3

Present Continuous - Positive

 Present continuous form = am/is/are + verb + ing. 
We use it to show that something is happening NOW.


Am/Is/Are doing
What am I doing?
(now)
I'm standing.
What is he doing?
(now)
He's sitting.
What is she doing?
(now)
She's walking.
What is it doing?
(now)
It's running.
What are they doing?
(now)
They're playing.
What are we doing?
(now)
We're walking.

Spelling Tip:
add -ing to



Words ending in two consonants
To walk
walk + ing
walking
Words ending in two vowels + consonant.
To sleep
sleep + ing
sleeping
Words ending in one consonant and a vowel (not e) 
To do
do + ing
doing
Words ending in one vowel  and g - add g + -ing
To jog
jog + ging
jogging
Words ending in one vowel and m - add m + -ing
To swim
swim + ming
swimming
Words ending in one vowel and n - add n + -ing
To run
run + ning
running
Words ending in one vowel and p - add p + -ing
To shop
shop + ping
shopping
Words ending in one vowel and t - add t + -ing
To put
put + ting
putting
Words ending in ie - delete ie + -ying
To die
d + ying
dying
Words ending in one consonant and e - delete e + -ing
To phone
phon + ing
phoning

Test It  test yourself by typing the correct form of the verb Test It.

 

 

#B4

Present Continuous - Negative

Present continuous form = am/is/are + verb + ing (something is happening NOW)
In the negative: add not after am/is/are (something is not happening NOW).

I'm not ......ing. | He/she/it is not (isn't) .....ing. | You/we/they are not (aren't) .....ing.

(now)
I'm not sitting. I'm standing.
(now)
He's not (he isn't) standing. He's sitting.
(now)
She's not (she isn't) running. She's walking.
(now)
It's not (it isn't) walking. It's running.
(now)
They're not (they aren't) working. They're playing.
(now)
We're not (we aren't working. We're playing.



  #B5

The Present Simple Positive - "I do."

We use the Present Simple tense to talk about regular or permanent actions.

In the third person (he, she, it) form, the verb takes an s. For example:

I/we/you/they
do
have
work
read
like
eat
drink
He/she/it
does
has
works
reads
likes
eats
drinks



Example: Things Mr John does every day morning.

(Every day)
 Mr John wakes up at 7.00 am.
(Every day)
He gets up at 7.15 am,
(Every day)
and goes to the bathroom.
(Every day)
He usually has a shower,
(Every day)
then he has a shave and brushes his teeth.
(Every day)
He eats breakfast at about 7.00 am.
(Every day)
After breakfast he reads the newspaper.
(Every day)
At 7.30 am he goes to work.

The Present Simple Negative - "I don't."

We use the Present Simple tense to talk about regular or permanent actions.

The Present Simple - "don't" = do not | "doesn't" = does not

In the third person (he, she, it) form, the negative form of the verb to do takes an s. For example:-

I/we/you/they
do not
do not have
do not read
do not like
do not eat
do not drink
I/we/you/they
don't
don't have
don't read
don't like
don't eat
don't drink
He/she/it
does not
does not have
does not read
does not like
does not eat
does not drink
He/she/it
doesn't
doesn't have
doesn't read
doesn't like
doesn't eat
doesn't drink

Example: Things Mr John does and doesn't do every day mornings.

(Every day)
 Mr John doesn't wake up at 6.00 am. He wakes up at 7.00 am.
(Every day)
He doesn't get up at 6.00 am. He gets up at 7.00 am.
(Every day)
He doesn't go to the office. He goes to the bathroom.
(Every day)
He doesn't have a shower. He has a bath.
(Every day)
After his bath, he doesn't have a cup of coffee. He has a shave and brushes his teeth.
(Every day)
He doesn't eat breakfast at about 7.00 am. He eats breakfast at about 10.00 am.
(Every day)
After breakfast he doesn't read the newspaper. He goes for a run.
(Every day)
After his run he doesn't go to work. He usually visits his friends.

Test It Try testing your use of positive and negative in the continuous form. Test It



#B6

The Present Simple - "Do I?"

In the third person (he, she, it) form, the question form of the verb to do takes an s. For example:

Do
I/we/you/ they
have something?
do something?
like something?
want something?
Does
he/she/it
have something?
do something?
like something?
want something?

 

Let's ask Mr John what he does at work every day

Mr John, what do you do?
I'm a teacher.
What do you teach?
I teach English.
Where do you work?
I work at a language school in London.
Do you usually walk to work?
No, I always drive.
What time do you usually start?
I usually start work at 9.00 am.
How many classes do you teach?
I usually teach three classes a day.
Do you ever teach evening classes?
No, never. I only teach in the day.
Do you ever teach on a Saturday?
Yes, but only sometimes.
Does anyone else teach English?
Yes, there is one other English teacher, Miss Smith.
Does she teach every day?
No, she only works part-time. She teaches Monday to Wednesday. She never teaches at the weekend.
What time do you usually finish work?
I usually finish work at 4 o'clock.

Test It Test the present simple - fill in the gaps using the verbs given - Write It!

Powered by the amazing  Learn English Online Network



#B7



The Simple Past - "I did."

We use the Simple Past tense when discussing finished time (yesterday, last year, in 1999 etc).


 


Only the verb to be needs to be changed in the third person. Regular verbs add -ed to the end. Irregular verbs have to be learnt.


I/he/she/it/
was
did
had
worked
read
liked
ate
drank
we/you/they
were
"
"
"
"
"
"
"

What Mr Bean did yesterday.




yesterday
Yesterday Mr Bean woke up at 6.00 am.
yesterday
He got up at 6.15 am,
yesterday
and went to the bathroom.
yesterday
He had a shower,
yesterday
then he had a shave and brushed his teeth.
yesterday
He ate breakfast at about 7.00 am.
yesterday
After breakfast he read the newspaper.
yesterday
At 7.30 am he went to work.

Spelling Tip - Rules for Regular Verbs:

Words ending in -e / -d: for example like > liked - hike > hiked
Words ending in -y:-
-y becomes -ied : For example worry > worried - cry > cried

Spelling Tip - Rules for Irregular Verbs:-

First rule: There are no rules!
be > was/were
do > did
have > had
go > went

Test It Test the simple past - fill in the gaps using the verbs given - Fill It!




#B8
The Simple Past Negative
"I didn't".

Without Contraction 
With Contraction 
did not
didn't

For example:
I/he/she/it/you/we/you/they 
did not
did not have
did not read
did not like
did not eat
did not drink
I/he/she/it/you/we/you/they 
didn't
didn't have
didn't read
didn't like
didn't eat
didn't drink

In order to change an affirmative statement into a negative statement, did not is placed after the subject, and the form of the verb is changed to the bare infinitive.
Positive statement
Negative statement
I worked.
I didn't work.
You worked. (singular 1 and plural 1+)
You didn't work.
He/She worked.
He/She didn't work.
It worked.
It didn't work
We worked.
We didn't work.
They worked.
They didn't work.

What Mr Bean did and didn't do yesterday.
Yesterday
On Saturday Mr Bean didn't wake up at 6.00 am. He woke up at 8.00 am.
Yesterday
He didn't get up at 6.15 am. Hegot up at 9.00 am.
Yesterday
He didn't go to the office. He wentto the bathroom.
Yesterday
He didn't have a shower. He hada bath.
Yesterday
After his shower he didn't have a cup of coffee. He had a shave and brushed his teeth.
Yesterday
He didn't eat breakfast at about 7.00 am. He ate breakfast at about 10.00 am.
Yesterday
After breakfast he didn't read the newspaper. He went for a run.
Yesterday
After his run he didn't go to work. He went to meet his friends.

Test It Test the simple past negative - rewrite the sentences in the negative - Write It!


#B9
The future using will or shall



Will
'Will' does not change its form.
I, you, he, she, it, we, they   
   will
'Will' is often shortened to ...'ll.
I'll, you'll, he'll, she'll, we'll, they'll and even (although it's not good English) you might hear it'll
The negative of 'will' is 'will not' - often shortened to won't
I, you, he, she, it, we, they   
  will not / won't

For example
+
-
  I will go.
  I'll go.
  I won't go
  You will go.
  You'll go.
  You won't go
  He will go.
  He'll go.
  He won't go
  She will go.
  She'll go.
  She won't go
  It will go.
  It'll go.
  It won't go
  We will go.
  We'll go.
  We won't go
  They will go.
  They'll go.
  They won't go

!Note! 'Will' on its own is not used for things we have arranged or decided to do.

"Will" is usually used in these situations:
Volunteering to do something:
(The phone is ringing). I'll answer it.
Promising to do something:
(A friend is leaving) I'll visit you in the summer.
Deciding to do something :
(Your car won't start) I'll buy a new car.
Ordering someone to do something:
(Your child won't do their homework) You'll do your homework now!
Predicting something will happen
(Winter is coming) I think it will be a cold winter.

Sometimes you can use 'will' as a threat. “Don't move or I'll shoot!”

'Will' is often used with think - "I think I will ..."


Positive (+)
Negative (-)
Statement
I'll do my homework now.
I won't do my homework later.
Statement
(using think)
I think she'll go to the cinema tonight.
I don't think she'll go to the cinema tomorrow.
Question (using will)
Will there be a test on Monday?
Won't there be a test on Monday?
Question (closed)
Do you think they'll win?
Do you think they won't win?
Question (open)
What do you think he'll do in the summer holidays?




Shall

'Shall' does not change its form.
I, you, he, she, it, we, they   
   shall.
'Shall' is also shortened to ...'ll.
I'll, you'll, he'll, she'll, we'll, they'll - and even (although it's not good English) it'll
The negative of 'shall' is 'shall not' - often shortened to shan't
I, you, he, she, it, we, they   
  shall not / shan't








!Note! In British English 'Shall' is often used instead of will in the first person (I/we).

I / We will 
=
I / We shall
I shall be at work on time.   
=
  I will be at work on time.
We shall win the competition.   
=
  We will win the competition.
They shall not pass!  
=
  They shan't pass!

!Note! 'Shall' is also often used in the first person (I/we) in questions when asking for permission, making suggestions, making an offer or asking for advice.

Shall I do that?
Shall we go home?

Test It Test what you have learnt - Will or won't?

Powered by the amazing  Learn English Online Network


Very Simple Basic Introductions - am/is/are

Ετικέτες

Post a Comment

[blogger]

Author Name

Φόρμα επικοινωνίας

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.